Just Checking In

I haven’t been by much lately. Just haven’t had the desire to take the time to sit down and write. I wanted to do a whole thing during the month of October with different recipes that I found online. Apparently life had other plans.

T had a hypoglycemic episode on the 12th of October that came with ketones. It was followed by a super high. Since then his sugar levels have not been where they should be. While he was riding in the 90-low 100s on a regular basis now he is having sugars in the 130s-170s much more frequently. The docs are concerned but only mildly. He has to have more than two episodes of sugars above 200 for them to really be concerned and those have to be when he isn’t sick.

He had a double ear infection and we think that might be why he was having off sugars. He has still been fighting it. The doc yesterday said that his ear was still red although he wasn’t convinced it was actually infected. But T screamed when the doc was looking at that one particular ear. So we have him on his second course of antibiotics. I am hoping this clears him up and that he can go back to being normal little T.

S has had a bit of a cold but he has been lucky and has not gotten ill this time around. We do have a script for antibiotics that the doc gave us just in case it turned bacterial like his brothers. But I am holding off on it unless he really needs it. I am grateful to have it on hand though since it took a trip to the ER to get it in the first place.

I had a bought of bronchitis and the cough is still lingering a bit. I’m exhausted all the time and when I have some free time I find myself laying on the couch doing nothing. I know a large part of it is just being 30 weeks pregnant. I have been trying to give myself a bit of a break but it is hard. I have a long list of things to do and little energy to do them with.

Baby G (we picked out a name!) is growing well. Last ultrasound he was head down. Who knows right now but I have a suspicion based on movements that he is still head down. He was in the 60th percentile in regards to growth which makes the doctors happy. They told me that they would much prefer the 60th percentile then the 40th and since they are greatly concerned with his growth due to my hypertension and hypothyroidism, this is a relief.

I failed my one hour glucose test last week. This means that on Monday morning I have to go to the hospital bright and early and do a three hour glucose test. Fortunately my hubby is home that day for Veteran’s Day and will be able to keep the boys. The funny thing is that 2 hours after the test last week (they take the blood at one hour after drinking the glucose drink) I had crashed and my sugars were at 60. So I wonder how high they went. We will see what this test shows. I do know that I have been struggling with low blood sugars and wonder how often I go high before I hit the lows. I also wonder how high I have been going. Hopefully this test will give a little better picture.

Aaron is doing the Atkins diet. This has been interesting for my family. The boys, despite their sugar issues, are not on a special diet. I do not restrict their carbs. My goal is just to get food into their system. In some ways the Atkins could be good for them as well but since my husband eats things they refuse to eat it has meant more preparation. I find myself choosing between the meal that my hubby is making himself or the food that I make for the kids. It has been quite a struggle. But he is doing well with it and hopefully he will lose the weight that he needs/wants to lose.

We weathered the Hurricane Sandy quite well. Although there was flooding nearby (some of the houses in our neighborhood experienced flooding), the worst the we got was cabin fever from being trapped in the house for days on end. We were very blessed not to have any flooding or power outages. Here are a few pictures I took of the rain as it came down for days on end.

This is our front yard while I was still brave enough to go outside. There was at least 12 inches already accumulated in our street.

We live in a hilly area. Out back this river was forming and making its way down our backyard area.

This is right out our back door. You can’t tell how much water is there but it was quite a bit. I wasn’t able to get a picture of it when it got really full but it never got high enough to threaten our house, fortunately.

I am very thankful that we did not get the brunt of it. There are still many who are suffering, not only from the damage of the storm but also from the cold front that has now moved in on us. Hoping and praying for all of those who were effected.

Christmas is fast approaching and with my stomach getting ever bigger, family coming to visit, and two little ones to prepare gifts for, I am trying to think ahead. I have a list of things that I want to get done in the next month and a half, but we will see how much of it gets done.

This month is Diabetes Awareness Month. I have been thrilled to see some of the information that has been posted around the internet in honor of the month. I mention this because Friday’s are “Blue Friday’s.” This is true throughout the year. But this month in particular I am asking all my friends, family, and readers to wear blue on Fridays. There are only a few Friday’s left in the month, but it would mean a lot to me if you would wear blue on Fridays. Send me a picture of you and your family all dressed in blue! We would love to see it!

Here I am yesterday (Friday) in my Diabetes Blue and starting week 30 of pregnancy. Just look at that belly!

As always, I wish blessings upon you and your loved ones!

I love to hear what you are thinking!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s