One of the things my mom used to make on a regular basis was “creamed eggs on toast.” Its a very simple meal that I crave from time to time. Every time I have mentioned it to people they look at me oddly, as though I have made the meal up. I promise, I haven’t. I googled it and found several places where you can find varieties of this recipe. Apparently, most people eat it as breakfast. We always had it as dinner.
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 1 Cup of Milk
- Black Pepper
- 1 Peeled hardboiled Egg
- 4 Pieces of Toast
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or skillet.
- Add the flour to the butter. Make sure that it is nice and creamy. Several recipes say to cook the butter and flour combination for about 4 minutes. I don’t cook it that long but if that is how you make a white sauce, then go for it! The key is just to make sure that it is creamy so that it doesn’t lump when you add the milk.
- Add milk. Whisk until the flour and butter have been mixed in. It is important to keep a close eye on this so that there are no lumps. You do not have to stir constantly but do stir frequently.
- Cut egg into chunks (or just rip with your fingers). Add to the white sauce once it is nice and creamy. Continue to stir in order to incorporate the egg into the sauce.
- Add pepper to your taste. (I generally do approximately 1 tbsp but taste the sauce and add based upon your personal tastes.)
- On your two serving plates tear up your toast (2 per plate). Pour your sauce over the toast.
- Add more flour if you want your sauce to be thicker. When I am serving it to my kids I usually do 4 tbsps of flour. Increase the butter to go with the amount of flour in order to avoid a flour-y taste.
- You can butter your toast before you tear it up to add to the buttery flavor of the meal.
- If you get WIC this is an excellent way to use up the eggs and milk that they give you. When we have a lot of eggs that need eaten I often double the eggs in the recipe, giving me a super egg-y, slightly different tasting meal.
- Experiment! This recipe is super simple. It would be easy to add things to it. Try adding cheese, or play with your seasonings. There are tons of different options available.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.